A New Day of Learning: 5 for Friday

Friday, February 28, 2014

5 for Friday



(This post contains Amazon Links. Disclaimer.)

This week I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for the 5 for Friday Linky Party.  Here are 5 things about my week!

1) I have been making an effort to cook more! So far this week my family has enjoyed Polenta with Eggs and Spicy Black Beans, Indian Spiced Turkey Burgers, Homemade Vegetable Soup, Omelets, Couscous with Chicken and Vegetables, and Chicken Parmesan!


2) We got A LOT of snow last week followed by cold weather.  We have been cooped up in the house for wayyyyy too long! However, I did get to spend some extra time with my favorite puppy! (Seriously, look at the size of her paws! I think she is going to be HUGE when she is a full grown boxer!)


3) In order to keep ourselves busy and not drive each other nuts, we have been playing Uno .  We taught our little guy how to play.  He LOVES to make me draw 4, draw 2, or skip me.  Whenever he gives me a draw 2 he tells me, "Happy Birthday, Mom!" and when he gives me a draw 4, he says, "Merry Christmas!" Each one of these is followed by hysterical laughter.  You can't help but laugh with him! The real kicker is that he beats us all the time! 



4) At school, we have started working on the metric system.  We have talked about Liters, meters, and grams.  Next, we reviewed time and I got to spend some time with a small group of students refining their understanding of the clock.  When we were finished, they were so excited that they could sign-out on the bathroom log without asking a friend for help.  That was a definite highlight of my day! We also got to learn about elapsed time.  That was exciting for me because we got to practice using a resource I created, Elapsed Time Differentiated Challenge Cards.   Here is another cool idea using clocks!


5) In Language Arts, we are reading The Tale of Despereaux and studying Medieval Times. We started with a K-W-L chart. Then kids worked on a close reading of part of a Medieval Times book, found and labeled the text features, and found the main idea and three supporting details.  Then they presented their charts to the class.  


What was a highlight from your week?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Back to the Top